Ed Mirvish Theatre
Box Office Hours
The Ed Mirvish theatre can be found on Yonge Street, just below Dundas Square, across the street from the Eaton Centre. The box office and main entrance are at the rear of the building, at 244 Victoria Street. There is also an entrance to the building at 263 Yonge Street, but patrons who might have difficulty using stairs should come to the Victoria St. entrance, where there is an elevator to the orchestra level.
How to Get There
TRANSIT & ROAD CLOSURE NOTICE:
The York, Bay, Yonge Gardiner off-ramp will be closed due to planned construction until January 2018. Those arriving by way of the Gardiner must exit at Jameson, Spadina or Jarvis to get to the downtown core.
If you are driving into Toronto via Highway 401 (the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway), the Gardiner Expressway is linked to the 401 to the east by the Don Valley Parkway (Highway 404) and to the west by Highway 427.
Visitors arriving by rail can walk to the Ed Mirvish theatre from Union Station. Exit Union Station and walk to Yonge Street, one block east. It's then just a 15-minute walk up Yonge to the theatre. You can also catch the subway (Yonge line) at Union Station and ride to Dundas, three stops away.
The Ed Mirvish theatre is just south of the Dundas Subway stop, on the Yonge Street line. It is also just a short walk north of the Queen stop.
There is a new indoor Green P lot in the new wing of St. Michael's Hospital, entrance on the east side of Victoria Street, just 1/2 block north of Shuter Street and 1/2 block south of the Victoria Street entrance to the theatre. There is also ample parking available at the Atrium Mall, entering off Edward Street (1/2 block north of Dundas), from either Bay Street or Yonge Street; at the Green P underground lot beneath Dundas Square, with garage entrance at Dundas and Victoria; and at the Eaton Centre parking lot, with entrance off Yonge at Shuter, just southwest of the theatre. There is also a surface parking lot on Victoria, just across the street from the theatre. Finally, there is some meter parking on Victoria Street.
The Ed Mirvish is a two-level theatre, with orchestra and mezzanine seating. The orchestra is on the second floor of the building, one storey above street level. There is an elevator/wheelchair lift at the box office entrance, 244 Victoria St., that goes from street to orchestra level. The inside measurement for the EMT wheelchair lift is: 29 1/2" wide X 60 1/4" long. The mezzanine, however, has no elevator service; wheelchair seating is available on the orchestra level only.
Patrons seeking wheelchair or other special-needs seating are asked to please call TicketKing at either 416.872.1212 or 1.800.461.3333 for assistance in finding the best seating options.
Facilities for the Hearing-Impaired
The Ed Mirvish theatre is equipped with an infra-red listening system for the benefit of the hearing-impaired. This system requires use of headsets which are available, free of charge, at the theatre coat-check counter.
There are two types of headsets available, the "stethoscope" style for people who don't use hearing aids and the "neck loop" for use with a hearing aid (with the aid switched to the 'T' position). "Stethoscope" headsets require no advance reservation. Patrons requiring the "neck loop" are asked to call the theatre at 416-593-0351 ext 533 - Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm, or to email firstname.lastname@example.org, in order to reserve a headset as there are limited numbers. Patrons borrowing headsets will be asked to leave a piece of photo ID or credit card (as a form of security deposit) which will be given back when the undamaged headset is returned, following the performance.
If you wish any further information about any of our facilities, please call TicketKing at 416.872.1212 or, toll free, at 1.800.461.3333. You may also email us with any questions or comments at email@example.com
For your convenience, a coat check is located on the mezzanine level. The cost is $2.50.
The Ed Mirvish theatre (formerly the Canon) has three bars/refreshment counters: orchestra lobby, mezzanine lobby and Yonge Street gallery. Each level sells a limited selection of alcoholic beverages - wine, liquor, liqueurs and bottled beer - as well as non-alcoholic beverages, including bottled spring water, soft drinks and coffee. In addition, an assortment of snacks is available at each level, including cookies, packaged candy and ice cream.
In addition to the regular bars, we have carts set up in various lobby spaces. These offer a limited selection of the same products that are sold at the bars, but, generally, only the non-alcoholic products.
There are also rovers who walk around the theatre selling products that they carry around with them - most often ice cream and bottled water.
All products that are sold in the lobby spaces may be taken by patrons to their seats.
All bars accept credit and debit cards.
Did you lose an item in the theatre?
Tel: 416.593.0351, ext. 533
Ed & Anne Mirvish Suite
The Ed & Anne Mirvish Suite is located beneath the auditorium and features a private entrance from Victoria Street and the orchestra level. This VIP suite can accommodate up to 30 people and includes a private restroom, bar and complimentary coat check.
Yonge Street Gallery
The Yonge Street Gallery is located between the Yonge Street entrance and the Mezzanine level of the theatre. This space including bar service can be rented for special occasions with up to 150 attendees as a semi-private event during intermission only.
You can access the 360 degree view of the theatre here. Select the Suite tab. Please contact the group sales office at 416-593-4142 or 1-800-724-6420 or visit the group sales site here for more information on theatre receptions.
The Ed Mirvish Theatre is the perfect setting for theatrical presentations, concerts, comedy, benefits, lectures, private functions, filming and much more.
One of the features of the theatre is the ability to convert capacities, from a full house (2,300 seats) to slightly less (1,800) and finally the intimate Playhouse setting (1,400).
The theatre has been part of Toronto’s entertainment scene for almost one hundred years and is located on Yonge Street in downtown Toronto. There are two ways to enter the theatre - the main entrance on Victoria Street or from Yonge St., directly across from the Eaton Centre and adjacent to Yonge/Dundas Square.
The Ed Mirvish Theatre has a grand sweeping stairway that is idea for post-event receptions, private functions and photo shoots.
Mirvish Productions is a full service company with expertise in every facet of event planning including production, ticketing, front of house operations and media placement.
To learn more about the technical aspects of the Ed Mirvish theatre, including collective agreements and technical drawings, please visit us at www.mirvishproductions.com
If you would like to have someone from Mirvish Productions contact you about your event simply complete the form below and we will reach out to you shortly.
Theatre Rental Booking Inquiry Form
The Ed Mirvish Theatre began its life in 1920 as a combination vaudeville and motion picture theatre in the Pantages theatre circuit. With its original 3373 seats, it was the largest cinema in Canada and, with its lavish interior - designed by the great theatre architect Thomas Lamb - the most elegant.
The theatre was built by the Canadian motion picture distributor Nathan L. Nathanson, founder of Famous Players Canadian Corporation, the Canadian motion picture distributing arm of Adolph Zukor's Paramount Pictures. While Famous Players retained ownership, management and booking were turned over to the Pantages organisation, one of the largest vaudeville and motion picture theatre circuits in North America.
The Pantages circuit had its beginnings in Canada, in the Yukon. Pericles Alexander Pantages had been a sailor on a Greek merchant ship who left the sea in search of riches during the great 1897 Yukon gold rush. Although he found no gold, he became part owner of a small theatre in Dawson City - the Orpheum - that staged vaudeville and burlesque shows. From this beginning, he built an entertainment empire that would eventually include a Hollywood film studio, a powerful vaudeville booking agency and ownership or control of more than 120 theatres across Canada and the western U.S. - most of which were known as "The Pantages".
The Pantages empire - 30 years in the making - came to a sudden end in 1929 when Alexander Pantages was convicted of the rape of 17-year old chorus girl and sentenced to 50 years in prison. Although the conviction was overturned on appeal, the scandal and the legal costs ruined Pantages. To the public, he had "got away with it" thanks to a clever lawyer. In 1930, he was forced to sell his theatres - at pennies on the dollar - to his arch-rival, RKO Pictures. Pantages died, of heart failure, in 1936.
With the collapse of the Pantages circuit, the Pantages name came off the marquees of almost all the theatres. In 1930, the Toronto Pantages was renamed "The Imperial" and became exclusively a cinema - no more live vaudeville. Management and control were resumed by Famous Players, which retained ownership for more than 50 years.
In 1973, the Imperial was chopped up into six separate cinemas to become "The Imperial 6", one of the first "multiplex" motion picture theatres in Canada. It operated under that name until 1986, when Famous Players lost a vital lease on the Yonge Street entrance to the building to a rival, Cineplex Odeon. Cineplex was able to force Famous Players to sell the theatre, but the victory was a Pyrrhic one; in a bitter legal fight, Famous Players won an injunction forbidding Cineplex from ever again using the theatre for motion pictures.
Cineplex responded to the court order by gutting the Imperial 6 and rebuilding it as a live theatre, restoring the lobby areas to the original 1920 design and renaming the structure "The Pantages". The "new" Pantages reopened in 1989 with the first legitimate theatre production it had ever known, Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical The Phantom of the Opera.
The Pantages was operated by a division of Cineplex Odeon known as "Livent". After a battle for control of Cineplex between its founder, Garth Drabinsky, and its majority shareholder, MCA, Livent became an independent company, with no ties to the parent corporation. Livent continued to own and operate the Pantages until 1999, when the theatre was purchased - along with other Livent assets - by Clear Channel Communications.
In July, 2001, Clear Channel announced a pledge of support for the theatre from Canon Canada, Inc. In recognition of this pledge, which guaranteed the continued life and health of an important, historic and beautiful showplace, the theatre was renamed The Canon Theatre. At the same time, Clear Channel leased and turned management of the facility over to Mirvish Productions, owner of the Princess of Wales and Royal Alexandra theatres.
In January, 2008, the theatre was purchased - along with other Clear Channel (now known as Live Nation) properties in the U.S. and Canada - by Key Brand Entertainment Ltd., a company established by British film and theatre producer John Gore. Mirvish Productions completed the purchase of both the Canon and the Panasonic theatres from Key Brand on August 26, 2008.
In December 2011 the 10 year partnership with Canon Canada came to an end. After looking for a suitable way to honour his father, David Mirvish officially renamed the iconic building The Ed Mirvish Theatre on December 6, 2011.